05 September 2012

Pin It

Indian Restaurant fined $ 97,500 for Rats and cockroaches found in Kitchen

Indian Restaurant fined $ 97,500 for Rats and cockroaches found in Kitchen

AN Indian restaurant in Sydney's Kings Cross has been fined almost $100,000 after inspectors found a dead rat and cockroaches in the kitchen.

An inspection last December following a customer complaint found rat faeces, food stored on the floor, accumulated dirt, grease-encrusted equipment and a large dead rat behind a garbage bin.

"Rat faeces - some of it soft, indicating freshness - was on the floor of the kitchen,'' Sydney City Council said

The City of Sydney launched legal proceedings against the restaurant, alleging the owner had failed to maintain clean, sanitary and hygienic conditions as required by the Food Act.

The owners of the Kings Cross takeaway pleaded guilty in court to 13 counts of failing to comply with the Food Standards Code.

The inspection by a council environmental health officer had also found ``that rats may have been nesting in the restaurant,'' the council said in a statement.

"In the coolroom, vegetables were stored on the dirty floor and samosas waiting to be cooked were stored on a shelf directly below shelving encrusted with dust and dirt.''

The restaurant was ordered to close until the problems were fixed, but after it reopened, two follow-up inspections on December 19 and 21 found more breaches.

City of Sydney CEO Monica Barone said most Sydney food businesses delivered high standards of hygiene and food safety.

"The outcome of this case should serve as a warning to food businesses who don't follow the rules and who put people's health at risk,'' she said.

The restaurant was fined $97,500, or $7500 for each of the 13 offences.

Do you remember in India any hotel got such punishment?

When you visit hotels in India keep, eyes open and you may find or see rats, cockroaches, or hotel kitchen staff using water from WC or Sandas in few hotels Not all hotels

Source –


Reality views by sm –

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Tags – Indian Hotel Fined


Bikramjit September 05, 2012  

Sad and well deserved.. this will never happen in india .. or if it happens the same people will open the same restaurant in the same place under a different name


deeps September 05, 2012  

Indians seem to have a spl knack of boiling the broth with the wrong ingredients in all part of the world...

Treat and Trick September 05, 2012  

Such a hazardous outlet should be eliminated!

MEcoy September 06, 2012  

yaikes that gross i hate cockroaches